Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Big Vote

Bolivians have decided 'si' (yes) on a new Constitution. I'll leave it to you to figure out what this means for Bolivia . . . I cannot pretend to know everything about the changes but if you google it, I am sure you can find a good breakdown. The Democracy Center is a good site.

I went to the polls with my host family on Sunday afternoon. It seemed very much like Cleveland, WI's voting procedure. Except we don't have to dip our index fingers in ink afterwards. Voting is mandatory here. If you don't vote, you get fined. It's an exciting time to be here and now I wonder how (or if) I will be impacted. . . well, we'll see! Below are some shots of the polling center. It's pretty low-key.




One of my host cousins worked the polls. (the guy in the middle)


This is a picture of my host mom's hand after she voted.

0 comments: