Sunday, March 14, 2010

Reader Challenge March 2010

At my new apartment, I do my laundry by hand out on the patio. This whole not-having-a-wash-machine kinda stinks, but week by week I am getting used to it, and it reminds of how spoiled I have been up to now. Most people I know do their laundry by hand. (Or hire someone else to come to their house to do it at a rate of 20 or so pieces for ~12Bs., less than $2.) Anyway, it takes me a looong time, and I inevitably end up sunburned unless I am reapplying sunblock every half hour. Which, quite frankly, is a pain in the butt, so I basically always get sunburned, even if it is just my hands and forearms. (The sun is fierce!!) I cannot afford to be sunburned so often (or at all!), so this week, I gave up and retreated into my kitchen and washed a few loads of laundry there. (A bit of a throwback to my dad's bachelor days.) The sink is much smaller, and even though I was physically much more comfortable, I realize this cannot be a permanent solution as I need to wash dishes, prepare meals, etc., in my kitchen. So, the challenge for all you readers is to help me figure out how I can rig something over my utility sink, allowing me to do laundry like a normal dweller in Bolivia. I've already thought of things like a huge beach umbrella, but I don't know how I would make it stay. Maybe a trellis where I could grow grape vines? The thing is, at this point, immediacy is an issue. A couple of things to note: There are planters on either side of the sink, which my landlady plans to plant flowers in at some point in the future. I am renting, so I am not sure how many holes I can make. And I don't have many tools. So there you go. Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Jane said...

How about doing your laundry at night?

Lauren said...

Thanks for your suggestion!! I've got to shoot it down, though. There are WAY too many mosquitos at this time of year. I am esp. allergic to the mosquitos in Coch, so I am not willing to risk it. By the time I get home from work, it is dark. Maybe I'll try washing at night in the winter!