Sunday, February 15, 2009

A good choice?

It was raining all weekend and to ease my boredom, I went to the movie theater and saw a film in English. When I walked out of the theater, I was literally shocked to see that all the signs were in Spanish and everyone around me was speaking . . . well, not English. Blood started rushing to my head and I looked at Michelle, who accompanied me, and she looked like she was having the same reaction. We both burst out laughing, but it was anything but funny. I thought I was going to throw up. It was my nightmare come to life. (I've recently had trouble sleeping because my dreams have been in Spanish. Normally, this would be a good thing, but in my dreams, I am speaking Spanish to people and nobody understands me. This is when I panic, wake up, and lie in bed reviewing verb tenses.) I had been so completely wrapped up in the film that I forgot where I was. It took me a good ten minutes of walking and taking deep breaths to calm down. Now I am left wondering if I should forgo the whole movie experience until I am a bit more fluent . . . the transition between the languages might be a bit less dramatic.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lauren, I understand!!! Last week, my roomate and I went out for a movie at a mall...which now we call our "American night out." We go to a movie that is usually in English, come out, but in our case, are surrounded by American businesses. Talk about cultural oppression. Practially the Entire food court are all American restaurants. Crazy! We often look at one another and wonder if we really are in Mexico?? Keep keeping us updated! Love to you, Erin